Thursday, August 12, 2010

2010.07.29 Akasaka, Meijijingu-mae, Takadanobaba

Something about the pillow at the hotel didn't agree with me and I woke up with a super stiff neck!

Was feeling a little homesick or nostalgic for Hawaii since I had been gone over two weeks at this point so I started looking for a place where I could eat Hawaiian food. I remember seeing a place in Odaiba, but 800 yen for spam musubi had me having second thoughts. Found a place called Ogo Ono Loa located in Akasaka, but due to my negligence in writing down the directions more carefully and a rather violent rainstorm, I ended up walking around for about an hour with no results.

However, there was a group playing ukuleles and dressed in aloha wear performing a lunch time concert, so that was nice.

But it started pouring like 5 minutes later.

Rode the subway back to Inari-cho defeated and still hungry. Settled for McDonald's. The Chicken Aurora Burger wasn't as good as I had hoped.

Took a shower, changed and rested up since I had to go meet Junko, who's like the older sister I never had, at Ikebukuro Station in a few hours.

The plan was to go eat monjayaki at Tsukishima, but I made the mistake of telling her that I had plans to go do that the next night as well, so plans got changed. Stupid me. Instead, we went back to Akasaka to find the restaurant (and maybe have some Hawaiian food).

The stairs light up @ Akasaka Sacas!


Apparently, TBS has their headquarters in Akasaka, so there was a big crowd of girls taking picture of Arashi's costumes from one of their many shows they do. I didn't take any pictures of that. Sorry Arashi fans.


There was an Ultraman statue outside.


Walked down the street further...

THERE IT IS!

But they were closed until 6pm when they'd open for dinner so we still lost.

Defeated we went off to the Beer Garden which was located near the Yakult Swallows baseball stadium and in the neighborhood that the Imperial Palace is located in (Meiji-jingumae). Apparently, some important historical documents were signed in this building.



So not only was this a classy place with history, but there was entertainment as well! Unfortunately, there was another table full of people in front of us and dancing is kind of hard to take pictures of, but I took some!

First performance was drum/tambourine themed with lots of dramatic hopping. It was a lot better than I can describe it. Sorry.


Second performance added a female singer in an evening gown singing "When you Wish Upon a Star" in Japanese. Again, it was better than it sounds. Really!


Final number added flamenco dancers. All hope of taking any good pictures all but disappeared at this point.

Night view of the outside.

Shakas!

Junko being bitten by the bird.


It was still early so we went to a Horumon (guts) place right next to Takadanobaba Station. You can see it from the platform!

Apparently, Waseda University is near this area.

A peek at the menu and specials.



Round 1: assorted raw pig guts!

Round 2: Tofu and tsukemono, because vegetables are important too!

Round 3: Grilled extra chewy bits

Result: sore jaws from having to chew so much. Tastes so good it hurts!

No comments:

Post a Comment