Thursday, August 12, 2010

2010.07.20 Off to Kyushu!

Knowing nothing more than the fact that the Shinkansen goes to Kyushu and that there is a JR train that goes to Beppu, I checked once more to see which trains I could catch. According to jorudan, it seemed that I'd be on the Shinkansen for 2 hours until Hakata then another 2-3 hours to get to Beppu. Thankfully, my friend Shige not only let me know of a faster route but offered to meet me for lunch at Kokura station, where I'd have to change trains anyway.


After a few confusing minutes of trying to figure out where I was and how he could find me, we found each other and had some Hakata (?) ramen. One of the best things about Kyushi ramen that I found out was the custom of 替え玉(kaedama). Kaedama is where a customer can get another serving of noodles for only 100円! Of course, I asked for a kaedama as soon as I heard this and it was good!


Got on the JR Sonic bound for Beppu and arrived at the station in about 1 hour. Yasuno said she was going to be late so I had planned to try check into the hostel and drop off my gigantic luggage before meeting her but my phone rang right after I got outside. This was good since she helped me find the place and after hauling my bag up a flight up extra narrow Japanese stairs, we went to get some food and see some things. Went to a place called Ureshi-ya just as they were opening for dinner.

One of the things I had wanted to try ever since I started learning about Japanese food was basashi (horse meat sashimi) and luckily, Ureshi-ya had it.

After the basashi, karaage and nikujaga we walked around the shotengai and alleyways. Maybe this is the case in all of Japan but the fact that a centuries old onsen is only mere meters away from several adult establishments is still kind of a shock.

There was a giant Tengu so I tried to pick it's nose.

Yasuno did no such thing, because she's not weird like me (as far as I know).

There was a golden deer or something outside a store so Yasuno tried to ride it.

There was also some impossible to photograph suit of armor in a store window.

And an evil-looking Billiken.

On that note, day 1 in Kyushu drew to a close.

Went to do some laundry and a strange old lady tried to borrow 3,000 yen from me. NO!

No comments:

Post a Comment