Thursday, August 12, 2010

2010.07.16 Osaka!


Caught the Shinkansen from Kyoto to Shin-Osaka and as always it's such a pleasure to ride it. No annoying, time consuming check in and security procedures or dealing with traffic, just fast convenient transportation.



Headed to the Osaka Museum to try escape the heat now that it was no longer rainy.

What it must have been like to be in Naniwa (ancient Osaka).


Osaka as the traditional center of trade.



Nice Boat!



Cool retro lamp and clock!



Unusual clay dolls.




After all that looking at historical stuff it was time to eat!

As it holds true everywhere, the best food can usually be found in some 'hole in the wall' restaurant. Today's example was Chigusa, located in the middle of Tenjinbashi, the longest covered shopping area in Japan (2.6km long!).

Tenjinbashi




Chigusa menu

Their specialty, the chigusayaki, is like a regular okonomiyaki but with a pork fillet cooked in the middle.

Step 1: pour batter on teppan, add pork and more batter


(Optional): cook yakisoba on the teppan at the same time, in between the okonomiyaki to save time and energy.


Step 2: once fully cooked, add mayonnaise.


Step 3: add ketchup.


Step 4: add mustard.


Step 5: brush on okonomiyaki sauce and swirl together!


Step 6: sprinkle on sesame seeds (?) to kick it up a notch and it's done!


If you're still hungry, then you can order a regular okonomiyaki too!

If you can find Chigusa, then go there. If you don't eat pork or shrimp then I feel sorry for you and your taste buds.

Dinner was somewhere in Dotonburi. I must have forgotten to take lots of pictures or something because I do not recall specific details.

Donki with a ferris wheel on it (that I didn't go to) and the iconic Glico sign near Dotonburi.


I think I ate this that night. I hope so, because it looks good!


I do recall this song being stuck in my head for some time after.
Pink Lady -UFO

This might not be the classic version of the song.

Met some fascinating people that I hope I get to meet again someday. Osaka people are pretty cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment