Thursday, August 12, 2010

2010.07.25 Uji Byoudo-in

Had plans to meet Ai and Saki at Uji Station in Kyoto @ 3pm, so I took the Shinkansen over from Shin-Osaka to Kyoto Station for lunch.

Got a Log Kit Sasebo Burger from the food court mysteriously located on the 10th floor of the station.


JR Uji Station


Interesting mailbox


Genji Monogatari-themed decorations?


I misunderstood the plans to meet up so I changed the meeting place to the JR Uji station but things worked out. Sometimes, I should slow down and make sure I understand what people are saying before I say "I got it!" then answer something different.

Saw Ai and Saki arrive at the station, but wasn't completely sure it was them so I waited a little longer before I went over. They were waiting by the gate, so I figured it was them and went over.

At first it seemed like we were wandering aimlessly, but the plan was probably to maximize sightseeing. No sense going straight to Byoudo-in because the scenic route is so much better!

More Genji Monogatari sculptures


I don't know what that pose is all about.


Ai saw some ducks so she ran away. Ornithophobia (fear of birds)?


There is also a service to have birds catch you fish (that you eat). Hmmmmm.


The original Byodo-in was soo much better than the mini-sized Hawaii version!






After Byodo-in the plan was to get something cold to eat and try dispel the heat.

Not only do I take pictures of my food, but I also take pictures of other people taking pictures of their food too!



It was kinda scary since we could hear thunder all day. The sky looked kinda ominous.


On the way back, it was suggested we check out the 'zero yen' store. The concept is that customers can eat as much salad and tea as they want for free. The salad dressings and teas are for sale.



(?) tea, Goya (bittermelon) tea, guava tea, regular green tea

A "free lunch". I ended up buying 3 bags of tea later. 2 bags of the goya tea since it was cheaper that way(?).


Back at JR Uji, it was time to head back to Osaka. I taught Saki and Ai the meaning of crossing one's fingers. I wish I could say they were hoping I'd be back soon, but they were hoping for good test results, instead.


Uji is a great place and I would want to go back, although I'd probably have to see what else there is to do/see there. And obviously, not visit during the summer.

Was kind of tired by the time I got back to Osaka, and because Justin mentioned being free in the evening (but not giving me his contact info) I waited around for a call/text but nothing came. Eventually, I decided to go out to get some dinner. There were lots of people on the train in yukata. Somehow, I had forgotten that the Tenjin Matsuri finale was tonight and was probably over or ending around that time (9-10pm). Went to Dotonburi and ended up at Creo Ru and ordered up a takoyaki x kushi katsu x okonomiyaki set and grape chu hai.



Came here back when I made it out to Osaka in 2008, but somehow the okonomiyaki was nowhere near as good as I recall. Maybe my okonomiyaki sense went up since then? Rode back to the hotel wishing I had gone to the food court in Umeda Station instead.

I should have tried one of these places instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment